Zlatan Ibrahimovic has said that his new number 10 shirt is an upgrade on last season’s number 9 after it was announced earlier today that the Swede has re-signed for Manchester United.
The football legend agreed a new one-year deal at Old Trafford after his contract had expired earlier this summer following his serious knee injury picked up in April.
Ibrahimovic is not expected to return to action until the New Year and had been linked to the likes of the MLS following his release from United.
He was our top scorer last season with 17 goals in the Premier League and 28 in all competitions.
Romelu Lukaku took up the number 9 shirt vacated by Ibrahimovic over the summer and the 35-year-old has now revealed that our big summer signing even made a personal call to ask if he could have his old number.
Ibrahimovic has been quoted by ESPN as saying:
“Lukaku called me and said: “Bro, can I get the No. 9 shirt? I said: ‘I’m not on that level that I will make it difficult for you, I just want you to feel happy and feel welcome, so I give you the No. 9 but I will take the No. 10.’ That’s the way we do it.
“So I never left, I just upgraded my number.”
Zlatan previously wore the number 10 shirt at Paris Saint-Germain but that shirt number was occupied by Wayne Rooney when he arrived at Old Trafford last season.
Romelu Lukaku is proving to be an excellent number 9 with three goals in his first two Premier League matches following his £75 million move from Everton.
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow