Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong has refused to rule out the prospect of joining Manchester United during this summer’s transfer window.
United boss Erik ten Hag was keen on landing the Netherlands star last summer and a deal worth €85 million was verbally agreed between the clubs.
However, the Dutchman refused to finalise personal terms and ended up staying with the Catalan giants.
This has not ended the speculation over his future. Ten Hag is still open to reuniting with De Jong and the midfielder has now refused to rule out an exit.
Speaking to Ziggo Sport yesterday, the 25-year-old was asked whether he would be joining United to which he replied: “No, I don’t think so. You never know of course. But I’m very happy in Barcelona.”
United could revive De Jong interest this summer
The Red Devils decided to sign Casemiro from Real Madrid last summer after De Jong’s snub. It has proved a blessing in disguise as the Brazilian has been superb.
Casemiro has made key defensive and offensive contributions in his debut campaign. He has been unlucky with suspensions but he has already proved his worth.
Despite this, Ten Hag will want to add more quality in the ranks. De Jong is one of the best distributors in world football and he would be a superb acquisition for United.
The manager knows him very well from their time together at Ajax. With Barcelona’s ongoing financial crisis, United could take advantage and sign De Jong this summer.
The Blaugrana tried to push De Jong throughout the exit door previously. If there is a repeat, he should be tempted to join United after watching the progress made under Ten Hag.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’