Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Yann Sommer has his sights on joining Manchester United next year despite the ongoing interest from Bayern Munich, Bild report.
The Switzerland international will enter the final six months of his Monchengladbach contract in January and he has made it clear that he won’t be penning an extension.
It is now reported that Bayern could attempt to sign him on a short-term deal until the summer after which he could be allowed to fulfil his England dream with United.
However, this won’t be straightforward as Monchengladbach don’t want to lose Sommer in January. It is claimed that it would take a fee of €5 million to sign him this winter.
It remains to be seen whether United will make an approach for him in January or wait until the summer.
Sommer would provide good competition for places
Bayern are currently on the search for a new goalkeeper following a leg fracture for Manuel Neuer. The Germany international has been ruled out for the remainder of the season.
They have identified Sommer as a short-term signing, but United could have a say on the player’s future. The Swiss could be signed as a potential competitor for David de Gea.
Martin Dubravka has made just one appearance since his loan move from Newcastle United last summer and the Red Devils could consider terminating his contract in January.
This would allow Sommer to join the club for a cut-price fee next month. The 34-year-old would provide good competition to De Gea, who now looks likely to stay next season.
The Spanish star is currently in talks over a new long-term deal with a pay cut. De Gea could potentially accept a 50 percent reduction on his current salary of £375,000-a-week.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Capology.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd goalkeeper Tom Heaton confirms he is out for a few weeks with an ankle injury
- Man Utd could lose Alejandro Garnacho to international duty in late May
- Bruno Fernandes wins Manchester United’s Player of the Month award for March