Burnley striker Wout Weghorst is set to undergo his medical with Manchester United today after Besiktas agreed to terminate his loan deal, Fabrizio Romano reports.
The Dutchman has been manager Erik ten Hag’s prime target for the January transfer window and United are now on the cusp of confirming his arrival.
United have agreed to pay €3 million to terminate his season-long loan deal at Besiktas and he will now join the club on a temporary basis for the rest of the campaign.
Weghorst will be in Manchester today for a series of medical tests. He could be available to face Manchester City on Saturday if registered by 12pm GMT tomorrow.
Weghorst should be a good stop-gap signing
The Dutchman joined Burnley from Wolfsburg during the second half of the last Premier League season, but could only muster two goals and three assists from 20 appearances.
After their relegation, he was loaned out to Besiktas. Weghorst has 13 goal contributions with them this campaign and will now be aiming to redeem himself in the Premier League.
The 30-year-old will obviously have more creativity around him at United and in our opinion, he could be a menace for opposition defences with his physical presence.
Weghorst also likes to press higher up the field with a steady work rate over 90 minutes. Hopefully, he will be registered in time for the Manchester derby.
He could be a game changer off the bench as he would provide a different outlook to United’s attack with his hold-up play and set-piece threat.
Weghorst is set to become United’s second signing of the January transfer window after the arrival of goalkeeper Jack Butland on loan from Crystal Palace.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest