Wout Weghorst was far from impressive during Manchester United’s 2-2 draw against Barcelona in the first leg of the Europa League knockout play-off.
The Dutchman played from a second striker role behind Marcus Rashford and he spurned a wonderful clear-cut chance to put United in the 28th minute.
Bruno Fernandes played him through on goal with a splendid pass, but the 30-year-old lacked the composure. His shot was straight at the goalkeeper.
Aside from this, Weghorst was barely involved in an attacking point of view. He made some defensive clearances but lost the majority of his duels at Camp Nou.
The striker won just four out of his 14 duels while failing to win any of his aerial challenges. He managed just nine passes despite playing in a deeper position.
Weghorst struggles to make his mark
When Weghorst joined the club last month, there was much talk about his aerial presence and how he could bring a different dimension to United’s attack.
However, he has struggled to impose himself. Against Barcelona, it was pretty much a similar case as he failed to win any of his six aerial duels contested.
In our view, Weghorst should be dropped for the second leg. Erik ten Hag should consider Jadon Sancho in the number 10 role with Alejandro Garnacho on the left wing.
With Marcel Sabitzer available after suspension, he could be another candidate. The Austrian is comfortable playing from both midfield and attack.
Meanwhile, Antony’s possible return from injury could see him start on the right wing, thus allowing Bruno Fernandes to occupy his familiar role behind the striker.
United were by far the better team in the 2-2 draw. They could have scored more goals with precise finishing. Despite this, the result should be satisfactory.
The Red Devils go into the return game as slight favourites due to their excellent record at home. United have won 13 of their previous 14 matches at Old Trafford.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books