In an exclusive interview with Het Nieuwsblad, Fulham midfielder Andreas Pereira has revealed that he was convinced about joining Manchester United after a chat with Sir Alex Ferguson.
Pereira signed for the Red Devils Under-18s from PSV back in early 2012 when Sir Alex was still the manager of the club. He did not make his first-team debut until August 2014 under Louis van Gaal, but he has a pleasant story to tell about his meeting with Sir Alex.
Speaking to Het Nieuwsblad, the Brazil international spoke about his first chat with the legendary head coach in November 2011 and revealed how he was convinced to join the club immediately.
He said: “With Ferguson? Isn’t it special when you sit in the same room with him for the first time?”
“During the tour – at that moment I thought I wouldn’t like Ferguson at all – at the club we arrived in the dining room and there he was. The scout from the club who accompanied us introduced us to each other.
“Sir Alex, this is Andreas. Yes, yes, said Ferguson. I know him well. He looked at me and said: Hello Andreas, there will always be a place in our team for a Brazilian.
“I immediately wanted to stay there. I would have signed anything. So funny that my father told me not to be too enthusiastic, because of course there were still negotiations to be done. We can still laugh about it afterwards, what a moment.”
Pereira was a squad player for most of his United career. He had loan stints with Granada, Valencia, Lazio and Flamengo before his permanent move to Fulham last year.
Back in the 2019/2020 season, the midfielder was handed a regular role in the number 10 spot under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, but he failed to capitalise on his chances.
With the arrival of Bruno Fernandes in January 2020, Pereira lost his starting place for good. At 27, the playmaker is now enjoying his career with the Cottagers.
The Brazilian contributed five goals and six assists from 38 games last term. This campaign, he has one goal which came in the first minute of the 2-2 draw versus Arsenal.
Pereira may have not lived up to his huge potential, but he has certainly earned his right to play in the Premier League and remains a key player for Marco Silva’s men.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling