Manchester United are making good progress under Jose Mourinho – currently sitting second in the Premier League after finishing sixth last season.
We are in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and in the second round of the Champions League also.
Mourinho has upgraded the squad each transfer window with the arrival of Alexis Sanchez being a significant signing in January.
However, one player continues to be linked with a move away from Old Trafford, which would be a huge loss should he leave. That player being David de Gea.
The Spaniard has continually been linked with a move back to the Spanish capital and Real Madrid.
De Gea is arguably the best goalkeeper in the world right now so it’s not surprise that the world’s biggest football club are interested in him. However, with the 27-year-old being such an important player for us, Jose Mourinho simply cannot afford to sell.
The boss has rejected all offers from Zinedine Zidane’s side to date and now Sky Sports Spanish football expert Guillem Balague has said that our goalkeeper is close to extending his deal at Old Trafford.
Balague told Sky Sports today:
“Real Madrid found out that De Gea would cost about 100m euros, that’s the figure that was suggested to them by an intermediate linked to Manchester United. They said that was far too expensive, which was their way of cleaning their hands and saying ‘OK, if you are going to renew then renew’.
“So De Gea is close to extending his contract with Manchester United and right now Real Madrid are not going to get in the way so it’s the second time they are missing out on him even though more than once it’s something he seriously considered.”
Real Madrid are expected to sign a new goalkeeper this summer with Keylor Navas and Kiko Casilla not making the grade at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.
However, Mourinho is very unlikely to want to sell his star goalkeeper, so provided Ballague is correct and de Gea signs a new deal, the future of Manchester United will remain bright.
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday