Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat is waiting for a late transfer approach from Manchester United amid interest from Liverpool, according to Corriere dello Sport (page 19).
The Red Devils have been linked with the Morocco international for several weeks, but they are yet to make a formal bid to sign him from the Serie A outfit.
It is now reported that the 26-year-old is waiting for United to make a proposal in the closing days of the transfer market and ‘everyone expects’ a bid from them.
The club are aiming to try and lower the price (€30 million), but Fiorentina are unlikely to offer a discount. They have not ruled out the prospect of keeping him.
Meanwhile, Liverpool have recently entered the pursuit of the Moroccan, and reports claim that manager Jurgen Klopp has already spoken with the midfielder.
The Merseyside outfit are prepared to pounce if United can’t afford to sign the Utrecht graduate.
United’s move for Amrabat depends on player sales
The Red Devils have already spent €190m on the signings of Mason Mount, Andre Onana and Rasmus Hojlund. They are currently in the process of recouping funds.
The club recently offloaded Fred to Fenerbahce for €15m. They may need another midfield departure (most likely Donny van de Beek) before they can sign Amrabat.
This could be a prime reason behind the ongoing delay, but United can’t afford to wait until the deadline as Liverpool have the transfer funds to capitalise and secure a deal.
Hence, United need to recoup funds quickly to sign Amrabat, who was described as a ‘world-class‘ player by Morocco head coach Walid Regragui during the World Cup.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action