In what could be one of the biggest stories of the summer, reports in Spain are today claiming that Toni Kroos wants to leave Real Madrid for Manchester United this summer.
The German international is believed to be on Jose Mourinho’s radar as we look to bolster our central midfield options this summer.
Since the arrival of Alexis Sanchez in January, we have predominately switched to a 4-3-3 formation, and with Michael Carrick retiring at the end of the season, and Maroaune Fellaini widely-expected to leave once his contract expires, we’ll have only four senior central midfielders on our books.
Toni Kroos is a world class midfielder who joined Real Madrid in the summer of 2014 after rejecting us in his move from Bayern Munich after winning the World Cup. And Spanish news outlet Don Balon are now reporting that the 28-year-old wants to join us at the end of the season.
The report says an offer has been made by Manchester United and that the German star is very tempted to accept it.
However, we have been unsuccessful in our attempts to sign Raphael Varane and Gareth Bale from Los Blancos in recent seasons, whilst have been rejecting offers from the La Liga giants for David de Gea – so any negotiations for Toni Kroos could be tough.
Toni Kroos is a regular in Zinedine Zidane’s side, having made 21 La Liga starts this season which has seen the midfielder score four goals and record six assists. Kroos has also made eight Champions League appearances (6 starts) in this campaign, recording one assist. He struck the crossbar from 25 yards on Tuesday night in Real Madrid’s 3-0 thrashing of Juventus in their quarter-final first leg.
Having won the Champions League twice with Real Madrid and the La Liga title last season, as well as winning the Champions League previously with Bayern Munich and the Bundesliga on three occasions, the tidy midfielder may be looking for a new challenge in his career.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m