Manchester United heavily backed Erik ten Hag in the summer transfer window but more reinforcements are needed at Old Trafford.
This is especially the case in attack after Cristiano Ronaldo left the club in November following his explosive interview with Piers Morgan.
United have been linked with a move for Atletico Madrid’s Joao Felix and Barcelona’s Memphis Depay. However, completing a deal for either player will be difficult for the Red Devils.
Felix has failed to make a big impact at the Estadio Metropolitano following his £113 million move in 2019.
The Portugal international is expected to leave the Spanish club after his fall-out with manager Diego Simeone. He has been struggling for game time this season, earning only five La Liga starts.
The Red Devils will have to beat competition from Newcastle United and Chelsea, clubs who also boast similar financial muscle.
The two clubs are also top contenders for a top-four finish in the Premier League this season. They could offer lucrative wages to appeal to the Portuguese player.
Pursuing a deal for Depay will also see them in direct competition with Chelsea and Newcastle.
The 28-year-old’s current contract at Camp Nou expires in six months, and he could be signed for a bargain fee. That’s why there is interest from several top European clubs.
Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal and Juventus have all been credited with a transfer interest in the Netherlands international.
With competition fierce, United will have to make considerable efforts to secure a deal for either Depay or Felix in the January transfer window.
The Red Devils were heavily linked with a move for Cody Gakpo and were believed to be leading the race for him.
United will have to act quickly to land their other targets in January.
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract