It has been a frustrating transfer window for Manchester United as they have struggled to land their top targets.
The Red Devils relentlessly pursued Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong all summer as he was reportedly Erik ten Hag’s top priority.
However, despite being ready to offer a huge transfer fee as well as lucrative wages, they failed to get a deal over the line, with the Netherlands international wanting to stay at Camp Nou.
The Premier League giants had identified Fabian Ruiz as an alternative for De Jong but they were also frustrated in their attempts to sign the Spaniard.
According to Italian publication Il Mattino, United submitted a bid for Ruiz but Napoli turned down their offer because they considered it ‘too low’.
Meanwhile, the Red Devils also targeted another top midfielder in Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.
However, Lazio demanded around £50 million and United were unwilling to meet that valuation.
Lack of Champions League football could be the main reason
United endured a disappointing 2021-22 season, finishing a lowly sixth in the table. That’s why they will play in the Europa League this campaign.
A possible reason Ruiz rejected the Red Devils could be their lack of Champions League football this term.
The 26-year-old reportedly wanted to join Spanish giants Real Madrid and wasn’t interested in extending his contract at the Stadio San Paolo.
However, he is now set to join Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain in a £21 million deal.
Considering the midfielder wanted a return to Spain but then opted to join PSG, we could assume that he wanted to play in the Champions League and that’s why he wasn’t interested in joining United.
- Omonia Nicosia 2-3 Manchester United: Three talking points as Marcus Rashford continues his stellar form
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic