Manchester United bolstered their squad with multiple signings during the summer transfer window, but they failed to pursue a top quality centre-back.
The Red Devils were hoping to offload Harry Maguire to invest on another central defender, but the Englishman’s refusal to leave scuppered their plans.
The club are now likely to wait until next summer to reinforce the department, considering their tight Financial Fair Play situation at the current point in time.
Why United should sign Silva over Todibo
Todibo was on United’s radar during the closing stages of the summer transfer window, but United did not make a formal approach for him before the deadline.
The lack of funds was a prime reason, and they could return for him in future. The Frenchman, who will turn 24 before the end of the year, has all the attributes to suit manager Erik ten Hag.
He is a strong ball-playing centre-back. This season, he has completed 91 per cent of his passes in Ligue 1 with an impressive two tackles and three clearances per game.
The former Barcelona defender has made eight recoveries per outing and has won 65 per cent of his duels. He could be prised away for a fee of around €40 million.
While Todibo’s statistics are impressive, young Antonio Silva has fared much better with Benfica this term. The 19-year-old has a pass completion rate of 94 per cent in the Primeira Liga.
The teenager has won a stunning four tackles per game alongside four clearances while also winning 72 per cent of his duels. He has lost possession on only 4.5 occasions compared to Todibo’s 7.8.
Silva is only a year into his senior playing career, but the youngster has shown that he has the traits to become a world-class centre-back in future with the right coaching.
Silva could start off as an understudy at United before becoming a starter which may not be possible with Todibo, who has hinted that he may not leave Nice without assured game time.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions