Manchester United must sign Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix during the winter transfer window amid interest from Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain.
The Red Devils have been long-term admirers of the Portuguese star and they were first interested in signing him during his development years at Benfica.
The club also failed with an ambitious €130 million bid for his services last summer, but they now have the opportunity to sign him for €100m at the start of 2023.
United are known to be eyeing a versatile forward in January and it has been reported that manager Erik ten Hag prefers to pursue Cody Gakpo from PSV Eindhoven.
Irrespective of this, the club should also attempt to land Felix this winter. They can not afford to wait until the summer with Bayern and Paris Saint-Germain also keen.
Similar to United, Bayern had a €100m bid knocked back for Felix in the summer, and the German champions could return for him at the end of the campaign.
The Bundesliga giants recently signed Sadio Mane from Liverpool, but there is still room for a marquee striker in their ranks, having opted against replacing Robert Lewandowski.
Meanwhile, Paris Saint-Germain face uncertainty over Lionel Messi’s future with his contract expiring in June 2023. His exit could urge them to land Felix from Atletico.
Hence, United can’t play the waiting game for Felix. They must secure his signature in the upcoming winter transfer window to avoid losing him to Bayern or PSG.
It remains to be seen whether the Glazers are prepared to support with funds for January amid the talk of an ownership change before the end of the ongoing season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony