Manchester United legend Rio Ferdinand has expressed his excitement after reading that the Red Devils could make the surprise move to sign Saul Niguez from Atletico Madrid.
The Spaniard has been an influential figure in the midfield for the La Liga outfit and he has made 286 appearances where he has contributed 38 goals and 18 assists in all competitions.
A recent report from The Star claimed that United could trigger the staggering £135m buy-out clause to sign the 25-year-old, provided they are able to sanction the sale of Paul Pogba.
The potential arrival of Niguez has got Ferdinand excited and he believes the midfielder would prove the perfect fit for the Red Devils with his tactical awareness and ability to find the back of the net.
“He’s another one, what a player. I’ve been harping on about Saul Niguez for a few years now. I think he’s a major player. Composed, calm, great left foot, lovely conductor, he can score goals, tactically he’s very aware,” he told on Instagram Live as relayed by Goal.com.
“You can see Simeone, he gets his teams really well set up and he’s in the middle orchestrating and dictating things. Saul Niguez is huge and it’s come out in the papers this week that Man Utd are interested in him, but we’ll have to wait and see.”
Niguez has primarily played in the centre of the park for Diego Simeone’s side but he has equally impressed as a right-sided midfielder or in the holding midfield position.
In addition to this, he has also occupied the left-back role when required for the Madrid giants and his versatility will definitely have caught the eye of United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Still, the Spaniard’s move may largely depend on the future of midfielder Paul Pogba, given United wouldn’t want to spend a huge sum on Niguez without the assurance that they can recoup most of the funds.
Pogba has been regularly linked with an exit over the past year but there are concerns whether any club would meet the £100m asking price amid the ongoing world crisis due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd