Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has his sights on beating Sevilla in the second leg of the Europa League quarter-final tonight.
The Red Devils dominated the opening 60 minutes of the first leg at Old Trafford but could not secure the desired result in the end.
Marcel Sabitzer put United 2-0 ahead after just 21 minutes but the club could not bag the all-important third goal to kill off the game.
Sevilla piled on the pressure in the closing stages and they eventually got their reward with two unfortunate own goals in their favour.
Speaking to Manutd.com, Ten Hag has now said that the spirit is fantastic for the second leg and insisted that his team have a clear mindset to win.
He said: “Very good. They’re really looking forward [to it]. I think the spirit is fantastic. We know why we are here. Last week, we drew so tomorrow [today] we have to win, because we want to go a round further.”
United will start as favourites after huge injury boost
United have been handed a huge boost for the second leg with the availability of Marcus Rashford, Luke Shaw and Sabitzer after recent injury setbacks.
Rashford has been exceptional for the Red Devils with 28 goals and 10 assists this term and he has relished playing against Spanish opposition.
This season, he has four goal contributions in five outings against La Liga clubs. The United graduate should be key towards sending the club to the semi-final.
Meanwhile, Sabitzer has started to find his feet. The Austrian has registered four goal involvements in his last five outings which includes his quick-fire brace last week.
He should start in the number 10 role with Bruno Fernandes suspended. Elsewhere, Shaw’s availability is a boost, given Tyrell Malacia’s defensive woes in the first leg.
Shaw would normally start at left-back but Ten Hag could be tempted to play him from the left centre-back role after the season-ending injury for Lisandro Martinez.
In that case, we could see Diogo Dalot operate from the left-back position, having impressed against Nottingham Forest on Sunday. He scored his maiden league goal for United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’