Bayern Munich manager Thomas Tuchel has said that his team can’t afford to switch off with the presence of Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford and Rasmus Hojlund in Manchester United’s attack.
The Red Devils have travelled to Munich for the first matchday of the Champions League group stage against Bayern tonight. Ahead of the game, Tuchel has insisted that United can’t be taken lightly.
Erik ten Hag’s side have suffered three losses in their last four games, but the German tactician is wary of their excellent transitional play through Fernandes, Rashford and Hojlund in the final third.
He said via Bayern’s YouTube channel: “Their results so far don’t say much about them. They can count on their excellent transitional play, with Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford and now also Rasmus Hojlund up front. We can’t switch off at all.”
United will pose a threat to Bayern’s defence
Bayern are one of the best teams in the Champions League and they are much fancied to go all the way, having signed Harry Kane to bolster the centre-forward department.
Despite this, the German champions are not unbeatable at present. They are occasionally vulnerable on the counter-attack and Dayot Upamecano could be a weak link in defence.
United have the capacity to create chances with their attackers. Rashford is a goalscoring threat on any day and he will be aiming to get himself into the box from out wide.
Fernandes needs no introduction with his consistent goal contributions. The Portuguese has the ability to provide through balls and will be looking to create key chances.
Hojlund was fantastic on his full debut at the weekend. He almost scored a vital equaliser for United against Brighton, but it was unfortunately chalked off by VAR.
Nonetheless, there were a lot of positives from his display. He got himself into the box on many occasions and scored with a lovely tap-in, though the goal did not stand.
Hopefully, we will see better co-ordination from the trio tonight. Bayern have an exceptional record in the Champions League group stage and they are unbeaten in 34 games.
This includes an outstanding 31 victories. United have the chance to end the stunning streak with their maiden away win over Bayern. They have never beaten them in their stadium.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action