Speaking exclusively to The United Stand, Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot has confirmed that talks are underway over a new long-term contract.
The Portuguese has been one of the club’s best performers in the current season and has been almost ever-present for them in all competitions.
Before the World Cup, he was clearly ‘undroppable‘ with Aaron Wan-Bissaka playing just four minutes from the right-back role ahead of him.
United recently extended his stay until June 2024 with a clause in his contract and talks are now underway with Dalot and his agent over a new deal.
In a short interview with The United Stand, Dalot confirmed that contract discussions are ongoing and the onus is on how both parties would benefit.
The talented full-back added that it is no secret that he is happy at United and is pleased with the way things are panning out for the club this term.
He said: “We are talking about it, we are negotiating and we are seeing how both parties would benefit. It’s no secret that I’m happy to be here, I love this club and I love to play for this club.”
“So we’ll see how things will go, but progressively, we are going in a good direction as a team and this is, for me, the most important part, and hopefully I can still individually help the team as I’ve been doing.”
Man Utd must renew Dalot’s contract quickly
United recently triggered the extension clause in Dalot’s contract such that he cannot speak with foreign clubs during the current transfer window.
The Red Devils now need to secure his long-term future. They have around six months to finalise a new improved contract with the 23-year-old star.
Judging by Dalot’s comments, it is clear that he wants to prolong his stay, but the final decision may depend on what the club are willing to offer.
He is currently one of the lowest earners at £25,000-a-week. The versatile full-back may expect close to £100,000-a-week to commit his future to United.
In our view, a fresh deal could be fairly straightforward if the board don’t ponder over the figure.
They should ensure that Dalot has renewed before July. Barcelona and Real Madrid are among elite clubs that are keeping tabs on the highly-rated defender.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Capology.com
- ‘He did magnificent’: Erik ten Hag praises Rasmus Hojlund’s impact in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag must start Aaron Wan-Bissaka to stop Man United’s old nemesis Wilfried Zaha
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hojlund returns
- ‘If they are good enough, they are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Manchester United’s route to finishing in the top four
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause