Real Betis striker Borja Iglesias has said that his club are confident ahead of the Europa League round of 16 tie against Manchester United this month.
The Red Devils progressed to the last 16 of the competition after a stunning 4-3 aggregate win over Barcelona and they will now face another Spanish opposition.
Betis are currently just outside of the Champions League places in La Liga and speaking to Betis TV via Marca, Iglesias said that he is ‘very excited’ to face the Red Devils.
The Seville outfit have been handed a huge blow with Nabil Fekir suffering a serious injury but Iglesias insists that Betis are ‘confident’ heading into the European clash.
He said: “If you want to win the competition you have to eliminate whoever you face. I am very excited. (Man Utd are) a historic club, and have a beautiful stadium. We are confident.”
United should be favourites for Betis contest
The Red Devils will come up against another technical side in the form of Betis.
United have not faced them in a competitive fixture but they met in a winter friendly in December last year where Betis won at home. Fekir scored the only goal of the game.
The club were obviously missing their World Cup stars back then and they should be favourites this time around with the form and confidence within the first team squad.
United have been the comeback kings in recent weeks, having gone behind in several games. Hopefully, there will be no hiccups when they host Betis in six days’ time.
The Red Devils must capitalise on home advantage. A two or three goal lead could kill off the tie.
Before Betis’ visit, United have a crucial Premier League meeting at arch-rivals Liverpool on Sunday. It is potentially a must-win to keep their slim title hopes alive.
United are currently 11 points adrift of leaders Arsenal with a game in hand. The gap could extend to 14 points if the Gunners beat Bournemouth at home on Saturday.
Hence, Sunday’s trip to Anfield is a make-or-break game for United in the title race.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘He did magnificent’: Erik ten Hag praises Rasmus Hojlund’s impact in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag must start Aaron Wan-Bissaka to stop Man United’s old nemesis Wilfried Zaha
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hojlund returns
- ‘If they are good enough, they are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Manchester United’s route to finishing in the top four
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause