Wayne Rooney – The only option left?!

It’s been quite a regular occurrence of late hasn’t it? No I’m not talking about Ronaldo whinging or even a Carlos Tevez transfer story. I’m specifically referring to Wayne Rooney, his versatility and this endearing quality he possesses to play left wing.

Ok so it’s not the biggest revelation since the discovery of electricity as it has been tried and tested before. Although there’s no denying that what it does provide us with is options, affording Ferguson complete freedom to tinker and tweak his attacking line-up however he pleases. And boy has it worked admirably the last few games.

With Rooney operating on the left we have seen Berbatov and even Ronaldo flourish as the central striker. Who knows as Ferguson studies this alternative system, he may even see sense and grant a certain Argentine a future with us that he so desperately craves. With a tighter more compact system and Rooney as an out and out striker, surely that wouldn’t have been the case.

In fairness Wazza squandered the simplest of chances against Wigan on Wednesday, a simple header that he would normally have buried in his sleep. Although since being deployed on the left Rooney has rarely failed to excel and fears that his talents were being wasted out wide were quickly put to bed.

We all feared that a fleet footed Theo Walcott would rip a confidence stricken Patrice Evra to shreds in the Champions League although on both occasions (at OT and the Emirates) Rooney played a part in thwarting the pacey England man to almost a non existence.

The spirited and industrious Rooney may not be the best tackler in the world but he’ll certainly put in a decent shift to aid forward thinking Evra who we all know can be prone to getting caught too far up the pitch. While it’s fair to say that Rooney’s defensive duties haven’t really been tested to the max this season, a meeting with Messi later this month will surely be a decent benchmark to determine his full credentials. Not to jinx it but I’m sure he’ll pass with flying colours.

There’s no doubting Rooney’s genius in the role just behind the striker but in my opinion he’s been given something of a new lease of life on the left. With Giggs a seemingly better option in the middle these days, Nani hardly being flavour of the month with Sir Alex and Tosic something of an unknown quantity at first-team level at least, Rooney is certainly the best viable option for me.

The way he cuts in with that bludgeon of a right foot and lashes towards goal, defenders will often know exactly what he’s about to do but stopping it is a completely different ball game. It’s certainly a joy to watch anyway.

To digress ever so slightly, Rooney’s aggressive nature has led to much criticism for years but to be honest I feel that it is a key component in his armoury that makes him such an unassailably brilliant player. Yes he needs to keep his anger in check in the most precarious of situations but a lot of the time he successfully channels his temper and he can often unfairly get into trouble purely for a reputation that precedes him.

While Ronaldo will never comprehensively commit his future to United we will all still justifiably admire his mercurial ability. At completely the other end of the spectrum you would have to literally drag Rooney out of the dressing room if he’s ever to leave Old Trafford – a trait that I think should draw much praise and adulation as I don’t know where we would be without this sublime scouser.

1. colver

21 May 2009 at 12:09

Eddy that would be my team as well. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that Fergie is going to be a sentimental old fool and play Giggs and Scholes alongside Carrick in midfield…which would be game over.

2. Stephen

21 May 2009 at 12:16

@colver: He has to play one of them but not both.

3. Stephen

21 May 2009 at 12:20

@colver: Also he may be sentimental but he is not stupid.

4. RedDevilEddy

21 May 2009 at 12:21

@colver: Fergie wont play Scholes against Barca. Despite Scholes scoring the winner last season, he did fuck all during the game! His passes werent great, and with Barca playing 3 in midfield Scholes will be useless because he will not be given room. Giggs will probably start, because he can do damage and he doesnt need too much room to do stuff.

5. RedDevilEddy

21 May 2009 at 12:21

@Stephen: Well said. 😉

6. Stephen

21 May 2009 at 12:45

@RedDevilEddy: I do agree also with your team, I cannot see Fergie picking any other side bar that one, in the biggest game of the season we are leaving out two players who could and have cost a combind figure of over £60m, in Berba and Carlos.
    The real concern in the game is our lack of “leg” in midfield, being without Hargo and Fletch is leaves us only with Andy in the centre to do the grafting, Carrick and Giggsy with all their ability are not known for their workman like play.
    For us to win Anderson has to have one of his best games in a United shirt, closing down the obvious two in midfield. The concern is how much of the ball we will have in the final, the pitch size is 105 × 68 m, which is exactly the same as OT, so it is a big pitch especially if you don’t have as much of the ball as you would like. Wee could be camped very much in our half for long spells, so maybe Berba should start so he can hold the ball up and give the midfield a much needed breather, as however good Roonie is, he does like to run in behind.
    God knows but I cannot wait! 😛 😛 😛

21 May 2009 at 12:46

Tevez latest whine – “The manager hasn’t even told me whether I will be playing, or having any part in the CL final – BOO bloody HOO!” Whats new then, Fergie hasn’t told any of the players yet who is going to be involved, except Sheasy and Park, who seem to be the flavour of the month right now 😆 . Think about it Tev, you told the world that you cannot agree with the way United manage the club, or the way the Old Man Fergie goes about things. The old man???? For someone who wants respect so bloody desparately, you need to learn to show some to those who are as GREAT and achieved everything, as Fergie has. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if Tevez isn’t involved. I am tired of the drama of the Tevez saga, its about the team and CL, not about prima donnas who wouldn’t know the word PATIENCE, if it bit them on the arse 🙄 .

8. Stephen

21 May 2009 at 13:14

@Stephen: ER that was meant as Ronnie not Roonie, bloody work!!
    @Craig Mc: I totally agree, I would not say the team until the day of the game, but that is probably old fashioned, Tevez certianly isn’t doing himself any favours.

21 May 2009 at 13:46

@Mr.Muhozi: An entertaining read, and that’s just what it is. 🙂

“…his (Berbatov) tackling is reminiscent of a geography teacher that’s had to take PE at the last minute…”

“… The tackle count narrowly goes against Berbatov, with Tevez taking it 1,923 to three. ..”

just thought those stats might just shed some truth (I’m just quoting ROM here):
    Successful Tackles:
    Wayne Rooney: 12
    Carlos Tevez: 15
    Dimitar Berbatov: 23
    Just for the sake of reference,
    Rio Ferdinand: 21
    Jonny Evans: 20

Its good to have light hearted bantering journalism, but somehow, I just thought he was reproaching Berbatov’s cold efficiency, while Tevez is celebrated for his workmanship…

10. colver

21 May 2009 at 13:56

Thanks for reassuring me guys. I just had a feeling that Fergie felt this would be Giggs and Scholes’ last Champions League final ever and would decide to reward them for the service to the club. More likely you are right Giggs will start and Scholes will get 15 minutes as a substitute.

21 May 2009 at 14:02

@RedDevilEddy: A song for “the boy Rooney?” How about Bowie’s “boys keep swinging”? 😀

12. RedDevilEddy

21 May 2009 at 17:04

@NicoQB: I honestly hope you were joking! 😆 Thats a horrible song…

Ive decided to go for Linkin Parks “Numb” and “Have a nice day” by Stereophonics. 😀 You should look forward to it, its class! 😎

22 May 2009 at 01:29

@RedDevilEddy: Then I’ll just spare you my thoughts on Linkin Park, mate! *couch* talentless posers *cough* 😆 😆