Manchester United have been in contact with the agent of Napoli striker Victor Osimhen over a possible summer transfer, according to Gazzetta dello Sport (page 20).
The Red Devils are aiming to bolster their strike force with a marquee centre-forward. Harry Kane is the top target for manager Erik ten Hag but Tottenham Hotspur don’t want to negotiate with United.
Osimhen is another player that has been constantly linked with a move to Old Trafford and Gazzetta dello Sport mention that his representative has ‘received calls’ from United, Bayern Munich and Newcastle.
The same publication claim that Napoli have not been able to convince Osimhen to extend his deal expiring in 2025 but president Aurelio De Laurentiis could nonetheless keep him for next season.
De Laurentiis is clear that he won’t sell his prized asset for less than €150 million this summer.
Osimhen’s price tag could be a huge stumbling block
The Nigerian star has developed into one of the most potent strikers in world football. He has been brilliant for Napoli this season with 30 goals and five assists from 38 appearances.
In our view, he would be a huge upgrade on Anthony Martial for the number nine role. The 24-year-old is just in the prime of his career and could have a similar impact as Erling Braut Haaland.
Osimhen would transform United into genuine title contenders but the big question is whether the hierarchy would give the green light for such a huge outlay on his services.
United will receive around €70m in TV money alone with Champions League qualification but there are doubts whether the Glazers will provide significant financial backing to Ten Hag.
Much of United’s transfer business this summer could depend on player sales. A takeover would change the entire dynamic but the Glazers have not made any decision over the process thus far.
Hence, a deal looks difficult at the moment. United need to look at the Financial Fair Play situation too. It was the reason behind their lack of spending during the January transfer window.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return