Napoli striker Victor Osimhen has revealed that he has a jersey of Manchester United amid speculation over his future at the Serie A champions.
The Nigerian star was in sensational form for Napoli during the 2022/23 campaign. He netted 31 goals and provided five assists from 39 appearances.
He has continued the good form this term with six goals and one assist from 10 games. The striker is currently out of action with a hamstring injury.
Osimhen’s current deal with Napoli expires in the summer of 2025 and as things stand, he has given no indication over prolonging his stay at the club.
Amidst this, he has talked up the prospect of moving to England by admitting that the Premier League is the most appreciated league by every African player.
The former Lille man also said that he does not have a favourite Premier League club, but he has jerseys of Chelsea and United. His friends support both clubs.
He said on The Obi One Podcast run by John Obi Mikel: “I don’t have a favourite PL team but I have two jerseys: Chelsea and Man United. Many friends of mine are Chelsea fans, few are Man Utd fans. Premier League is the most appreciated league by every African player — it’s a huge league.”
United unlikely to pursue deal for Osimhen
The Red Devils made a huge outlay on Danish sensation Rasmus Hojlund last summer. The 20-year-old has yet to score in the Premier League but has excelled in Europe.
Hojlund has netted five goals from four group stage games. He has huge potential in him and has the hallmarks to become a world-class striker in the long term.
United manager Erik ten Hag generally prefers to play a lone striker up front. The Dutchman has hardly changed his set-up since his appointment last season.
Hence, we don’t see United investing a nine-figure sum on Osimhen next summer unless Hojlund’s league woes continue for the whole season which is unlikely.
Hojlund has been getting into some terrific positions in the box but has been let down by his finishing. It may not be long before he starts converting chances into goals.
In our view, Chelsea are front-runners to sign him at the current point of time. United would not want to hamper the development of Hojlund with Osimhen’s signing.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action