Napoli striker Victor Osimhen is considered as a potential target to replace Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United in January, according to The Mirror.
Ronaldo recently came up with an explosive interview with Piers Morgan where he showed a lack of respect for manager Erik ten Hag as well as the club’s owners.
The 37-year-old is expected to have his contract terminated as a result and The Mirror claim that the club could pursue a high-profile striker as early as January.
Paris Saint-Germain’s Kylian Mbappe has emerged as a shock target, but a deal is highly unlikely with him having only signed a new contract over the summer.
Osimhen is said to be the alternative and The Mirror cite that he could be available for around £60 million when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.
Osimhen would be a superb acquisition for Man Utd
The Nigerian star is in his third campaign at Napoli where he has started to realise his potential. The 23-year-old has bagged 10 goals and three assists from 14 games.
Osimhen has caught the eye with his good finishing skills but also offers an aerial presence in the box. He is a modern striker, who has a strong physique but can also dribble.
Erik ten Hag got the best out of Sebastien Haller at Ajax after his dismal spell at West Ham United. He could work wonders with Osimhen, who is just entering the prime of his career.
With Ronaldo set to leave, Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial are the other striking options in the squad but the latter has been hampered by numerous injuries this season.
There are no assurances that Martial will stay unscathed during the back end of the campaign.
If Osimhen were to join United in January, he could make the number nine position his own as Rashford tends to fare best when operating from the left side of the attack.
In our opinion, we don’t believe Napoli will sell Osimhen at £60m. They purchased him from Lille two years ago for £65m and it may take close to £100m to prise him away.
Knowing Aurelio De Laurentiis’ shrewd decision-making over the years, he may also turn down the proposal with Napoli pursuing their first Serie A title since 1990.
The Naples outfit are eight points ahead of AC Milan at the top of the table at the World Cup break.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae set for Napoli farewell, Man Utd will trigger his release clause
- Erik ten Hag says Antony is ‘unlikely’ to be available for FA Cup final vs Man City
- Man Utd in front row to sign Rasmus Hojlund, contacts have intensified with Atalanta
- Man Utd ‘at the head’ of the race to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd could offer Harry Maguire in player-plus-cash deal to sign Mason Mount
- Man Utd could offer Scott McTominay as a makeweight to sign Declan Rice
- Man Utd could make surprise move for Empoli goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario
- Kim Min-jae has his window wide open on Man Utd, will cost €58m
- Manuel Ugarte excited by Manchester United interest amid Chelsea and PSG links
- Victor Osimhen’s agent has received calls from Man Utd but Napoli firm on price tag