Manchester United defender Victor Lindelof produced a terrific defensive display during the club’s 1-0 Premier League win over Aston Villa this afternoon.
The Red Devils were vastly the superior attacking side in the opening half and they got their reward before the break with Bruno Fernandes finding the net.
That turned out to be the match winner. The Villans tried their best to get back into the game but United were resolute in defence during the closing stages.
Lindelof had another top performance at the heart of the backline. The Swede had 72 touches and completed a stunning 97 per cent of his passes.
He has also managed seven ball recoveries with four clearances. The 28-year-old produced a goalline clearance too, but Ollie Watkins was offside in the lead-up.
Nonetheless, it was another fantastic showing from the Sweden international, who has stepped up in the injury absence of Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez.
Lindelof hardly started games over the past few months but he has now put himself in a strong position to start every match until the end of the campaign.
There has been a lot of speculation regarding his future but in our opinion, the Swede still has plenty to offer for United for the next couple of seasons at least.
The Red Devils are already planning to extend his contract until the summer of 2025 on the back of his impressive run of performances over the past few weeks.
United are now in a good position to qualify for next season’s Champions League. They need a maximum of 11 points from their final six games of the campaign.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’