Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has heaped praise on goalkeeper David de Gea amid ongoing negotiations over a new long-term contract.
The Spain international has been brilliant between the sticks for United this term and he kept his 21st clean sheet of the campaign last weekend.
It has been recently reported that De Gea is close to agreeing an extension and Ten Hag has now lavished praise over his performances this season.
Speaking to reporters today, Ten Hag was asked about the main attributes of De Gea. In response, he talked about his excellent shot-stopping.
He said via Manutd.com: ”Stopping goals, avoiding goals as that is the main job for a goalkeeper. You can do it in many more ways, everyone has their own particular style.”
“Nowadays in possession, it becomes more and more important, especially at the top level because there you take control and it is more difficult for the opponent to gain pressure, you also concede less chances.”
“But at the end of the day it’s about stopping goals, stopping shots, stopping crosses, one-on-ones etc so that is more like the classic goalkeeper. I think David is really multi-functional and a really complete goalkeeper. We are very happy with him.”
De Gea set to continue as United’s number one
At the beginning of the season, there were some doubts over De Gea’s future, considering his limited mobility and reluctance to play out from the back.
However, the Spaniard has made good improvement over the campaign. He has completed 70 per cent of his passes and has looked more comfortable with the ball at his feet.
Of course, he has gifted possession to the opposition on occasions but this has not proved costly. Hence, we believe De Gea could continue as United’s number one next term.
The Red Devils are still being linked with goalkeepers but De Gea remains in the prime of his career and there is no need for a change. He has made several world-class saves this campaign.
Judging by Ten Hag’s praise, it could be a matter of time before De Gea’s new deal is announced.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December