Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag could finally unleash his dream centre-back pairing against Newport County on Sunday.
Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez formed a rock-solid partnership at the heart of the defence last campaign.
They organised the defence well and always tried to be proactive in defending.
Due to several injury issues, Ten Hag has deployed ten different centre-back partnerships this season.
The instability at the back has not helped the Red Devils. It is a key reason why they have conceded goals in large numbers.
Martinez made his comeback from a long-term injury as a substitute in Man United’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford.
The United manager confirmed Martinez’s availability for tomorrow’s FA Cup clash with Newport to MUTV in his exclusive club-media interview.
With Varane and Martinez fit and available, Ten Hag could finally field the duo in the starting XI.
The Dutchman could also be conservative with his approach as United play three times in the next eight games.
They will travel to Molineux to face Wolverhampton Wanderers on Thursday before hosting West Ham United next weekend.
However, the FA Cup is Man United’s only chance to lift a trophy this season.
They have been eliminated from the League Cup and the Champions League. A Premier League triumph is realistically out of their reach.
Ten Hag would prefer another silverware in his cabinet to convince Sir Jim Ratcliffe and INEOS that he is the right man for the job.
The Dutchman cannot take risks and must opt to field his best team. Varane and Martinez are pivotal components of that starting XI.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow