Tuesday’s shambolic 4-0 defeat against MK Dons in the second round of the Capital One Cup could force Louis Van Gaal into sanctioning the sale of another couple of United players, who the Dutchman deems surplus to requirements.
Danny Welbeck, Nick Powell, Anderson, Shinji Kagawa and even Jonny Evans could soon be heading for the exit door at Old Trafford, according to reports in the Mirror.
While it’s hardly a surprise to see Anderson linked with a move away from the club, given his total lack of fitness and commitment to the club, Evans is somewhat a surprise inclusion in the list, given he’s the only senior defender left at the club and has developed well over the past couple of seasons.
The Northern Irishman, however, could pay the price for a dismal display on Tuesday.
“There were some sloppy mistakes, including my pass for their first goal and from that point we made it quite difficult for ourselves,” said Evans.
“It was just sloppy mistakes which cost us in the end.”
Evans also admitted that MK Dons were fitter than United, a remark that would have left many unimpressed.
“Once we had to start chasing the game, their superior fitness levels showed because most of our team hadn’t played in a while,” said the 26-year-old.
“I think the most important thing is to pick yourself up, learn from it and don’t dwell on it too much.”
Welbeck, meanwhile, emerged as a target for Arsenal, Tottenham, Hull and Sunderland last week, after having allegedly been told that he was welcome to find himself another club, as long as it was not a top six outfit, which, theoretically at least, should rule out a move to any of the North London duo.
Kagawa has again been linked with a return to Germany and with the Premier League being United’s only commitment from now until January, the Japanese’s opportunities could shrink even further, given he’s behind Juan Mata, Angel Di Maria and Adnan Januzaj in the pecking order.
Considering United’s threadbare midfield, many thought Powell would seize his chance on Tuesday night, but the former Crewe man disappointed yet again and could soon be moved on, for he’s never come close to fulfil his potential.
- Man Utd have their eyes on Dusan Vlahovic, Juventus open to selling him
- Man Utd interested in signing Andre Onana, Inter could sell him for €40-50m
- Erik ten Hag could unleash Alejandro Garnacho vs Man City after Antony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd’s next striker: Three stars on the radar
- FA Cup final preview: Manchester City vs Manchester United – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Major blow for Manchester United with Anthony Martial set to miss FA Cup final against Man City
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United