Louis Van Gaal has accused Dimitri Payet of diving just before scoring the opener for West Ham on Sunday. The Frenchman had already been booked when it went down after making contact with Marcos Rojo in the box, only for Martin Atkinson to deem the contact not worth of a penalty.
However, given that Payet was already on a yellow card, some suggested he should have received a second yellow. Minutes later, the Frenchman netted a fantastic free-kick to give West Ham a 1-0 lead, before Anthony Martial rescued United with seven minutes to go.
“Payet was more or less diving. He was maybe touched, but not enough to fall like that,” said Van Gaal.
“But there are always discussions about the decisions of the referee.”
Slaven Bilic, however, had a different view of the incident.
“For me, it should have been a penalty on Dimitri,” said the West Ham manager.
“A dive? Come on. If you have a screen I am going to show you and defend my point at Cambridge [Union].
“You can clearly see there is contact. So it’s definitely not a dive, 100 per cent not a dive.
- Man Utd have excellent chance to sign West Ham star Declan Rice next summer
- Why Man Utd star should replace Spurs defender in Argentina starting XI
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ready for return after re-watching his 168 games in charge of Man Utd
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner