Backed by over 5,000 reds, the largest away allocation of the season, United beat Derby 3-1 and booked their place in the fifth round of the FA Cup and the boisterous away support didn’t go unnoticed with Van Gaal.
“Our fans supported us fantastically. I heard the fans of Manchester United more than the fans of Derby County,” he said.
“It is important that the fans continue to support the players against Stoke as the players have the most difficult task – they have to get a result at that hour, against Stoke’s resistance and there are no excuses. The fans have to support again.
Van Gaal allegedly offered his resignation after United suffered an embarrassing defeat at Stoke on Boxing Day and he warned Mark Hughes’ side would be difficult to deal with on Tuesday night.
“I hope that we can give the same level of performance as against Derby,” said the United manager.
“Stoke City are a team that every club has a lot of difficulties with.
“I saw them play against Liverpool and thought they were very good – they deserved to go through. I have to say that I like how Stoke play, very much.”
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Brentford
- Ralf Rangnick provides injury update on three Man Utd stars