New Manchester United manager, Louis van Gaal, has failed in his efforts to persuade his number one target to follow him to Old Trafford this summer.
Robben, who we previously reported to be van Gaal’s priority transfer on 21st June, revealed on Dutch television after the 3-0 win over Brazil in Brasilia that Van Gaal had approached him about joining United.
The Bayern Munich winger has been linked with a move back to the Premier League ever since Van Gaal revealed he was leaving the World Cup third-place playoff winners for Old Trafford before the tournament.
But despite their ‘special bond’ the 30-year-old has no plans to leave the Bundesliga side.
“I have a special bond with him. He is the most important coach in my career,” Robben said.
“(Moving to United) is not an option though. I will stay at Bayern Munich.”
Red Rants opinion?
When we were tipped off about Van Gaal’s efforts to bring Robben to Old Trafford it came with a confident insistence he could get his man but we were also told there WAS a Plan B; something that had been sadly lacking under David Moyes’ stewardship (or a Plan A for that matter!). Van Gaal and Giggs had contingency plans dependant on the outcome of Robben’s future, those plans would appear to have been triggered some weeks ago.
It’s reassuring to know our club is now in good, competent hands again.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations