Louis Van Gaal has reiterated he’s unhappy with his current squad and has insisted Manchester United need to buy a world class winger this summer if they’re serious about returning to the levels expected of them.
United’s summer started in style with the arrivals of Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera but with just a week left until the start of the season the squad at Van Gaal’s disposal remains unbalanced and short of options, despite Ed Woodward’s bullish claims that United “had not budget” and could financially compete with the biggest teams in the world.
United were reportedly interested in signing Angel Di Maria before the Argentinian looked set for a move to PSG and Van Gaal might well be looking at the Real Madrid man again, given PSG have pulled out of the race.
Van Gaal has insisted he only buys players when he feels it’s necessary, but United’s lack of a world class wingers might force his and the club’s hand.
“It is a strategy of Manchester United to do that. At this moment, we have five No.9s and four No.10s – and we don’t have wingers to give us attacking width,” said Van Gaal.
“Or, I should say, we don’t have wingers of the highest level, like Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that. So, I have to play in another way – and you have seen that already. I only buy when I think we need to buy – in the position that is necessary.”
United have adopted a new 3-5-2 formation during the pre-season tour, as Van Gaal looked to make the most of the players at his disposal, but the likes of Ashley Young, Nani and Antonio Valencia don’t guarantee enough quality and consistency and United need another couple of signings between now and the end of month.
Van Gaal also pointed out that it’d be pointless to compare the way some of the current players performed under David Moyes last season.
“You cannot compare players under the guidance of Moyes with those same players under the guidance of Louis van Gaal or even players under the guidance of Alex Ferguson. Every trainer and coach and manager wants a different style of play and different tactics, so it is impossible to compare.”
- Man Utd have their eyes on Dusan Vlahovic, Juventus open to selling him
- Man Utd interested in signing Andre Onana, Inter could sell him for €40-50m
- Erik ten Hag could unleash Alejandro Garnacho vs Man City after Antony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd’s next striker: Three stars on the radar
- FA Cup final preview: Manchester City vs Manchester United – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Major blow for Manchester United with Anthony Martial set to miss FA Cup final against Man City
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United