Juan Mata was instrumental in Manchester United’s 3-0 win against Stoke on Tuesday night, as the Spaniard pulled the strings superbly, as his side played with an attacking intent they had not shown at any other stage of the season.
Deployed in his favourite number 10 role, the former Chelsea man, who scored against Derby a few days earlier, was mightily impressive alongside Wayne Rooney and Anthony Martial. Louis Van Gaal has suggested Mata will continue to be selected in his favourite position as long as he continues to control games the way he did against the Potters, adding Mata had only himself to blame for being deployed in a different role.
“I have already played Mata in that role,” said Van Gaal when asked if the Spaniard will continue as number 10.
“I’m not changing him from that role, he has changed himself, because at that time he wasn’t good enough. That is the reason.
“When he is playing like he has played now, he shall play at.
“But maybe I have anotherwho is better than Mata. Maybe Andreas Pereira is better? We will have to see.”
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Brentford
- Ralf Rangnick provides injury update on three Man Utd stars