Donny van de Beek’s former agent Guido Albers has slammed Manchester United over the midfielder’s unfair treatment.
The Dutch midfielder moved to Old Trafford in 2020 after a hugely impressive spell with Ajax. However, his time with United has been underwhelming.
After falling out of favour with former managers Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ralf Rangnick, the 25-year-old moved to Everton on loan in the second half of last season.
His brief spell with the Toffees didn’t go well as he struggled with injuries, and he returned to Old Trafford in the summer.
Albers has now weighed in on Van de Beek’s struggles, claiming that the Red Devils’ relationship with the midfielder has deteriorated.
He also revealed that former midfielder Paul Pogba was given more preference despite the Frenchman showing up late for the training, which led Van de Beek to consider an exit from Old Trafford.
Albers told Voetbal Primeur (h/t Manchester Evening News): “In the Netherlands, Donny got all the appreciation, performed well and was super popular with the fans.
“At Manchester United, he then never played. The relationship between him and the club really cooled down badly.
“He had to compete against Paul Pogba, who reported late to the training camp, said sorry and was allowed to play again – in the place of a boy who was training 10 hours a day for eight weeks to show he was good enough.”
Van de Beek’s situation hasn’t improved this season despite the arrival of Erik ten Hag, under whom he established as one of Europe’s coveted midfielders at Ajax.
The former Ajax star continues to be on the fringes, having only made three appearances in the Premier League this term.
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season
- Tottenham Hotspur will resist Harry Kane sale to Man Utd this summer
- Three midfielders Manchester United could sign from the relegated Premier League clubs this summer