Manchester United may have to wait to bring in RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano to Old Trafford.
The centre-back has been linked with some top English clubs, including United, Chelsea and Arsenal in the January transfer window.
However, according to Italian journalist and transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, the German club has decided to not let go of the defender until the summer.
The defender is having a tremendous season with Leipzig, having made 14 appearances and scoring one goal so far.
Upamecano’s performance against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League game last season also received widespread praise from football pundits, making him one of the most sought-after talents in Europe.
The 22-year-old would be an ideal signing for United who are looking to boost their defensive forces.
The French international is an experienced customer, having played 134 games for Leipzig since joining the club from RB Salzburg in a deal worth £9 million in 2017.
Since then, apart from being a regular in the starting XI, Upamecano has also scored four goals and made two assists for the club. He was offered a new deal by Leipzig in the summer last year, thus keeping him at the club until 2023.
With Eric Bailly injury-prone, United are left with Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire playing the bulk of their games – and, this season, Lindelof’s back injury has further put manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in a bind.
The addition of Upamecano among the ranks will relieve some of the pressure off Lindelof and Maguire, and help United in keeping a fitter squad – something that has been one of Solskjaer’s biggest struggles since taking over the club.
Bringing in a centre-back with Upamecano’s credentials in the summer would also be a smart choice for United, considering he is being targeted by other top clubs.
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal
- Man Utd could be without five players for Villarreal clash