Manchester United fans were expecting to see Anthony Martial start the final game of the 2017-18 Premier League season against Waford this afternoon.
On Thursday Jose Mourinho named the French international as one of seven players who would be starting this game. The other six were all confirmed a short while ago – Sergio Romero, Eric Bailly, Daley Blind, Michael Carrick, Juan Mata and Marcus Rashford all start as promised.
However, Anthony Martial has not been named in today’s matchday squad. What makes things more interesting is an update from ESPN‘s Rob Dawson a short while ago.
The journalist was able to confirm that Anthony Martial was at Old Trafford around midday today before driving away.
Mourinho said Anthony Martial would play today but he's not in the squad. No reason given yet. He was at Old Trafford about 12pm but drove away.
— Rob Dawson (@RobDawsonESPN) May 13, 2018
One could have thought Martial’s absence was simply a matter of an injury or a knock, especially as we are now without an out-and-out striker among the substitutes today. However, the fact that Martial was at the club’s facilities with the squad today before leaving makes it very intriguing.
It looks as though Juan Mata will partner Marcus Rashford and Alexis Sanchez in our front three today.
There has yet to be any comment from the club but we’ll break any further news to you as soon as we get it.
- Tactical Analysis: Hugely encouraging signs in Ralf Rangnick’s debut against Crystal Palace
- Man Utd fans delighted with Fred’s stand-out display against Crystal Palace
- Ralf Rangnick heaps praise on Fred and Scott McTominay after Crystal Palace win
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace
- Who will Rangnick target in the transfer window?
- Man Utd fans react to Fred’s performance vs Arsenal
- Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United in wake of Arsenal win
- Manchester United vs Arsenal 3-2: Cristiano Ronaldo saves the day again
- Michael Carrick provides fresh injury update on Raphael Varane
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return