Considering the abundance of striking options at Sir Alex Ferguson’s disposal, one would think that a striker isn’t a necessity for Manchester United but, over the last few weeks, rumours linking some of Europe’s frontmen with a move to Old Trafford have intensified.
While any transfer speculation at this stage of the season must be taken with more than the traditional pinch of salt, United have matured a reputation for sealing their deals well before the opening of the transfer window and, considering David Gill’s imminent departure, Sir Alex Ferguson is likely to be willing to have business done and dusted in the early stages of the summer market.
United have, for quite some time now, been linked to Robert Lewandowski with reports in Germany and Poland suggesting that the Borussia Dortmund striker will trigger a two-horse race for his signature, with United and Bayern Munich likely to go head-to-head in an attempt to lure the Polish striker, who’s allegedly repeatedly stated his desire to move to England, away from the Westfalenstadion.
According to the Guardian, though, United might have identified a surprise target to bolster their front line, in the shape of Galatasaray’s striker Burak Yilmaz. The Turkish striker scored 33 league goals in 34 games last season and has so far netted 14 in 16 games this season, to add to the seven goals he has scored in the Champions League.
At 6ft 2in the 27-year-old offers a towering presence, but has educated enough feet to prevent being dismissed as simply a battering ram a la Andy Carroll – which is just as well, for at least he won’t fetch £35m.
The only player to have scored as many Champions League goals as Burak Yilmaz is that Cristiano Ronaldo who, according to the reliable and authoritative that is the Daily Star, could be on his way back to Old Trafford, particularly should Nani refuse the £90k-a-week deal he’ set to be offered.
According to the Star – who had already reported a similar story earlier in the week – United’s only hope to see the Portuguese back at Old Trafford is a breakdown in talks between Ronaldo and Real Madrid over his new contract. At that point, United could lure him back to England for just £55m.
If you believe the story you are, quite frankly, rather sad. But then again, if you believe the story you probably read the Star, which makes you an incredibly sadder individual.
- Ajax and Edson Alvarez are Man Utd’s best bet for moving on Donny van de Beek
- Man Utd identify Moussa Diaby as Anthony Martial’s heir – Report
- Manchester United: Rangers in advanced talks to sign Jack Butland on free transfer
- How Man Utd Could Line Up For the 2023/24 Premier League Season
- Man Utd ready to hand £10m pay-off to Harry Maguire ahead of possible West Ham move
- Man Utd interested in signing Dusan Vlahovic as Juventus set asking price
- Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount agrees terms with Man Utd ahead of likely transfer
- Anthony Elanga price drop shows Man Utd’s desperation to shift unwanted players
- Man Utd join Chelsea & PSG in race to sign Sporting midfielder Manuel Ugarte
- Man Utd’s midfield puzzle: Potential candidates to strengthen Erik ten Hag’s title bid