Marouane Fellaini remains determined to prove what he’s capable of at Manchester United and the Belgian has insisted Louis Van Gaal never asked him to leave, despite the reports that circulated in the summer, according to which the former Everton man was on the verge of leaving the club.
The man who perhaps more than any other epitomises David Moyes’ beleaguered spell at United has vowed to win the critics over, as he returned to training following a month on the sideline because of an ankle injury.
“I talked to Van Gaal and he has never said that I had to leave,” said Fellaini, who made a cameo appearance in United’s opening game of the season against Swansea.
“He said I had a lot of competition, but that I got the chance to prove it.
“I have known difficult moments last season, but there is a stronger player afterwards. I have confidence in myself and in my game again.
“I played a good World Cup and also during the preparation, I was good. It is unfortunate that this injury is for now just a spanner in the works, but at the end of the month I will be back.”
The 26-year-old looked poised to join Napoli on loan but the Serie A let their interest drop following the Belgian’s injury and with Daley Blind, Ander Herrera and Angel Di Maria firmly ahead of him in the pecking order and Michael Carrick on his way back from injury Fellaini’s chances could be limited.
- Man Utd have their eyes on Dusan Vlahovic, Juventus open to selling him
- Man Utd interested in signing Andre Onana, Inter could sell him for €40-50m
- Erik ten Hag could unleash Alejandro Garnacho vs Man City after Antony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd’s next striker: Three stars on the radar
- FA Cup final preview: Manchester City vs Manchester United – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Major blow for Manchester United with Anthony Martial set to miss FA Cup final against Man City
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United