The 4th round FA Cup tie vs Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday promises to be another classic to add to the list of FA Cup classics previously played out down the years between the two most successful clubs in English football.
In thirteen previous ties, Manchester United have lost just three times to Liverpool. Two of those defeats came before the Second World War, one was even two centuries ago!
The nine times these two teams have been drawn together since the war, there has been a need for two replays, each of which were won by Manchester United in 1979 & 1985 with both games etched in the minds of Reds old enough (and lucky enough) to remember them.
In the remaining games, only once have United failed to advance when Peter Crouch scored the only goal of the game in 2006 on their way to lifting the trophy at the Millienium Stadium against plucky West Ham United.
Hopefully United can prevent a repeat of that defeat and conjure up a result despite their troublesome injury list. If they’re looking for any inspiration, they need look no further than this clip. Who can forget Cantona’s winner at Wembley in ’96, or Yorke and Solksjaer snatching victory from the jaws of defeat on our way to a real, genuine treble in ’99? The jubilant celebrations in ’77 denying Liverpool a chance at a genuine treble of their own as Pearson and then Greenhoff struck to overcome yet another deficit.
With all the furore surrounding this game and the rivalry between the clubs it promises to be a battle royale. Here’s a look back at some of the most memorable moments with Bryan Robson and Jamie Redknapp.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony