Update: United cancel Indonesia visit. Club working on revised itinerary outside Indonesia.
Every now and then we get hit by news that brings us down to reality. At the time of writing, nine people were killed in bombings of two luxury hotels in Indonesia.
It’s more shocking if you realize United were scheduled to stay at the Ritz in Jakarta. The cause, people behind these attacks aren’t yet known, so we’ll have to wait for further details to be revealed.
Whether United would tour Indonesia is also up in the air.
A spokesman for the Indonesian organizers, Souraiya Farina, told AFP they had not had any information yet from the team on whether they would cancel their visit. ‘We have had no confirmation of what they might be doing and noone has indicated to us that they will cancel their visit,’ she said. ‘They may move to another hotel,’ she added, citing the Pacific Hotel as an alternative.[link]
Meanwhile, United kick off pre-season in Malaysia with a match on Saturday. We will hopefully have mini-reports of the preseason friendlies.
Travelling squad: Edwin van der Sar, Tomasz Kuszczak, Ben Foster; Jonny Evans, Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville, Wes Brown, John O’Shea, Fabio da Silva; Nani, Zoran Tosic, Darren Fletcher, Anderson, Darron Gibson, Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick, Ryan Giggs; Michael Owen, Dimitar Berbatov, Federico Macheda, Wayne Rooney.
We will look to update this post as an when we get to hear about United’s plans to tour Indonesia. Watch this space.
- After Bayern, agent offers Cristiano Ronaldo to Chelsea
- Man Utd want to sign three Ajax players but may land just one
- Man Utd very close to signing Frenkie de Jong, transfer likely by June 30
- Man Utd can sign Goncalo Inacio with offer close to release clause
- Man Utd need to offer €10m more as fixed fee to sign Frenkie de Jong
- Gary Neville hits out after Man Utd pay out dividends to shareholders
- Cristiano Ronaldo was offered to Bayern Munich by Jorge Mendes
- Man Utd have made an offer for Leeds star Raphinha
- David Ornstein fancies Christian Eriksen to end up at Man Utd
- Man Utd in pole position to sign Matthijs de Ligt