Manchester United are the classic ‘good things’ for favourite backers with struggling Portsmouth the opposition at Old Trafford this Saturday afternoon.
Odds of just 1.14 (1-7) are for the big bettors or multiple backers only, but it’s hard to argue that United are almost as close to a certainty as you’ll find in the Premier League.
And if you’re just getting started on betting, backing United to win in this game is the easiest ‘win’ you’ll get all year.
Portsmouth to get relegated this season?
Bottom of the league and five points adrift of Burnley in 19th, debt-ridden Pompey are just 1.23 (2-9) with Betfair punters to go down this year. Former Chelsea manager Avram Grant has been unable to turn the ship around and their last league win came before Christmas when Liverpool, in a crisis all of their own, were beaten 2-0 at Fratton Park. Truly, these are dark times for Portsmouth fans.
In contrast, United are flying. Wayne Rooney is smashing goals in left, right and centre, while recent wins over Arsenal and Manchester City have got the league challenge firmly on track and the champions back in the Carling Cup final.
So, if we are to assume that the game is as good as won, what are the best bets?
When dominance is expected, goals usually are too. With the Reds hitting three past Arsenal and City, and four past Hull this game looks like following that same pattern. Losing Younes Kaboul and Asmir Begovic at the end of the transfer window can only hurt a defence that has actually been fairly tight (just four goals conceded in the last three games).
But while the ingredients are all there for a hammering, the value probably lies away from bets based on very heavy wins.
Pompey may not be the sharpest in front of goal but they have the tools to break through United’s defence at least once. Back ‘no’ in the Manchester United clean sheet market at 2.5 (6-4).
If we take a Portsmouth goal as a given, it may pay to back some correct scores. Two-one and 3-1 are both available at 13 (12-1) and that offers the chance of a big win.
And who’s going to put the ball in the back of the net? Well, Nani has impressed in recent weeks and can continue his good form with another goal at 3.5 (5-2).
Betfair is offering Red Rants readers £25 free for just opening an account and placing a bet. Use the tips above to get started, and if you don’t win, Betfair will put up to £25 back into your account to give you another chance to make some money backing United.
- ‘He did magnificent’: Erik ten Hag praises Rasmus Hojlund’s impact in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag must start Aaron Wan-Bissaka to stop Man United’s old nemesis Wilfried Zaha
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hojlund returns
- ‘If they are good enough, they are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Manchester United’s route to finishing in the top four
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause