Manchester United will avoid paying AS Monaco £7 million when Anthony Martial departs Old Trafford on a free transfer this summer, according to talkSPORT.
The Frenchman’s existing deal with United runs out at the end of the season, meaning he is free to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with any club of his choice.
United can also decide to cash in on the out of favour star and recoup some of the money they paid to sign him from Monaco nine years ago.
Martial was widely regarded as one of the best youngsters in European football at the time of his move to Old Trafford – so much so that Monaco inserted a Ballon d’Or clause in his deal with United.
The original deal cost United £36m upfront, with three further payments worth £7.2m depending on certain conditions.
However, only one of the clauses has been met, meaning the overall deal will end up costing United £43.2m instead of £57.6m.
Martial missed the chance to trigger the first clause when he failed to make 25 appearances in four years for the French national team, while the second was dependent on the Frenchman winning the Ballon d’Or.
Nine years later, Martial’s career at United has been nothing short of a disappointment – one plagued by injuries and inconsistency.
United still have the option to extend his stay at the Theatre of Dreams for a further year, but they have decided against activating the clause.
Despite United’s decision, Martial has no plans to leave the club this month and has decided to remain at Old Trafford, turning down offers from several clubs.
Turkish giants Fenerbahce, Ligue 1 outfit Olympique Marseille and several Saudi Pro League clubs have approached the 28-year-old about a potential move.
However, he rejected their proposal despite being relegated to a second-fiddle role under Erik ten Hag this season.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow