Manchester United will still be considering whether Patrice Evra is the right man for the left back role, after approaches for Everton’s Leighton Baines and Real Madrid’s Fabio Coentrao during the summer transfer window couldn’t be finalised by Ed Woodward, with the latter a last minute fiasco which topped off an embarrassing window.
Many Reds aren’t convinced by Baines, claiming that it’d be foolish to spend £20m on a left-back who will be 29 next year. However, he is better than Evra and should be top of Moyes new year transfer targets.
Leighton Baines can probably cross a ball better than all of our wingers. He is superb at overlapping the wide men, and always puts a decent ball into the box. For England, he set up Wayne Rooney with a header to give us the lead over Poland. A brilliant cross, and possibly to a future team mate!
Baines is a master from the dead ball position, and can take free kicks and corners, unlike Evra. He loves to place the ball into the top corner, and can do so brilliantly. Last month, Baines scored two breathtaking free-kicks against West Ham, which won Everton the game. Both strikes were perfectly placed in the top corner. His crossing for corners is also very good. The set-piece specialist would be great at United, especially with Nemanja Vidic and Marouane Fellaini in the box.
Evra is now approaching 33, and he’s only getting older. Baines is only 28, and at the peak of his career. Evra is not as energetic and fit as he once was, whereas Baines is. Baines’ fitness and stamina is ridiculous, as he can run for fun and is a brilliant player to have on the wing. When Evra goes forward, he struggles getting back and is often caught out. Baines has the fitness to sprint back and get into position.
I remember when it only used to be Aaron Lennon that got the better of Evra, now it seems to be everyone. You rarely see a player get the better of Baines. On the left side, Evra is done for pace, skill or just simple strength, this rarely happens to Baines, showing just how good he is defensively, as well as attacking.
5. Just Better!
Overall, what Evra can do, Baines can do better! In my opinion, Baines is one of the best full backs in the world right now, and if he signed for United, I think he wouldn’t only be our best full back, but also our best winger! Evra is ageing, and lacks the energy and quality he once possessed. If I had to choose between Evra or Baines, I wouldn’t even have to think about it. Baines everyday of the week. Sign him up Moyes!
For more of my articles, visit my blog- www.MoyesyTime.weebly.com
- Ian Wright wants Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag gone once Sir Jim Ratcliffe arrives
- Roy Keane wants Manchester United to ditch Antony, Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and more
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after 2-1 win against Chelsea
- Erik ten Hag has another undroppable star in Scott McTominay after Chelsea win
- Sofyan Amrabat produces his best Man Utd display vs Chelsea
- Juventus cool interest in exiled Man Utd star Jadon Sancho due to financial concerns
- Antony proves his worth with fantastic Man Utd performance vs Chelsea
- Manchester United 2-1 Chelsea: Player ratings as McTominay powers the Red Devils to sixth
- Full confirmed line-ups: Man Utd vs Chelsea
- Andre Onana reveals why his Manchester United teammates call him ‘the boss’