Holland U21 captain Kevin Strootman has revealed his desire to move to the Premier League, despite attracting interest from a host of European clubs.
The 23-year-old PSV midfielder is under contract until 2016, but he’s made clear his intent to leave Eindhoven to seek fortune in English football, where he has many admirers. United have long been linked with a move for Strootman, who has already appeared 18 times for the Dutch national side, and chief scout Jim Lawlor was in the stands as Holland demolished Russia in the European Championships Under 21.
The Guardian and the Mirror report that Strootman’s agent, Chiel Dekker, confirmed that despite other European clubs’ interest – including Napoli and outfits from France and Russia – his client is eager to move to a Premier League club.
He is focused on England because that would suit his style,” said Strootman’s agent.
“He has the physique, the character and the fitness for it.
“I am certainly not afraid he could handle that level.”
“Kevin has ambition but it is not in my hands,” conitnued Dekker.
“From PSV it would have to be a step up to a good club.
“It is not simple though because the price will be expensive and not many teams can afford him.
“The clubs know what he can do now. It is up to them whether they want to reach an agreement with PSV and take him.”
Meanwhile, there’s been another twist in the saga involving Robert Lewandowski, with the Telegraph and the Independent reporting that the Borussia Dortmund striker will not be leaving the Westfalenstadion this summer.
Speaking to a German newspaper, Dortmund’s chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said: “Robert will definitely be playing for Borussia Dortmund next season, we need this security to be able to plan [for next season].”
In other news, Ryan Giggs will take another significant step towards coaching this week with an eight-day assignment in Turkey as he tries to secure his Uefa Pro Licence badge.
- Victor Osimhen’s agent has received calls from Man Utd but Napoli firm on price tag
- Manchester United in talks to sign Atalanta’s Rasmus Hojlund and Eintracht Frankfurt’s Randal Kolo Muani
- Ajax and Edson Alvarez are Man Utd’s best bet for moving on Donny van de Beek
- Man Utd identify Moussa Diaby as Anthony Martial’s heir – Report
- Manchester United: Rangers in advanced talks to sign Jack Butland on free transfer
- How Man Utd Could Line Up For the 2023/24 Premier League Season
- Man Utd ready to hand £10m pay-off to Harry Maguire ahead of possible West Ham move
- Man Utd interested in signing Dusan Vlahovic as Juventus set asking price
- Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount agrees terms with Man Utd ahead of likely transfer
- Anthony Elanga price drop shows Man Utd’s desperation to shift unwanted players