Cristiano Ronaldo will return to Old Trafford for the first time in three years after Manchester United have been drawn against Real Madrid in the last 16 of the Champions League, in what is probably the most glamorous tie out of the Nyon draw.
It’s only the fourth time United and Real Madrid have been drawn together in the European Cup. In 1957, United lost the first leg of the semifinal 3-1 at Santiago Bernabeu and could only draw 2-2 at home. In 2000 the two sides met in the quarter finals with defending champions United holding out for a 0-0 draw in Madrid before succumbing to a 3-2 defeat at home, while three years later, at the same stage, United lost 3-1 in Madrid before a spectacular but ultimately fruitless 4-3 win at home.
The first legs will be played on 12, 13, 19 and 20 February, and the second legs will be played on 5, 6, 12 and 13 March 2013.
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday