It’s official, Phil Jones has lost his race for fitness ahead of tomorrow’s eagerly anticpated United v Madrid match.
Jones did not take part in the club’s open training session this morning and, after his all-important, all-action performance at The Bernabeu three weeks ago it’s hard not to feel Jones was in line to play another pivotal role in tomorrow’s crucial 2nd leg which United unusually take to the field as underdogs in the betting with bwin.
The former Blackburn Rovers defender suffered an ankle injury two weeks ago in United’s fifth round FA Cup victory over Reading at Old Trafford and has not featured since.
Sir Alex is quoted on the official manutd.com website saying “Jones won’t be fit” and noted “His performance over there was absolutely excellent. It is a miss but we can deem it as something we can’t manage. We have got options. We hope we get that right.”
How much of a blow is this? Was Jones earmarked for a similar role at Old Trafford as he was out in Spain or is this a blow Sir Alex is allowing to get blown out of proportion while he happily has the team he wanted available?
As usual, RedRants readers can treat themselves to a free bet courtesy of bwin if they fancy a flutter.
Get your free bet here.
- 16: Man Utd star has outscored club’s top transfer target in 2023
- ‘You never know’: Frenkie de Jong reacts when asked about joining Man Utd this summer
- Erik ten Hag heaps special praise on Bruno Fernandes after FA Cup quarter-final win
- David de Gea delivers outstanding performance in FA Cup quarter-final vs Fulham
- Blow for Manchester United as Harry Maguire is ruled out of the FA Cup semi-final
- Marcel Sabitzer believes Manchester United were not handed the FA Cup quarter-final victory on a plate
- Manchester United to play Brighton & Hove Albion in the FA Cup semi-final
- Manchester United 3-1 Fulham: Three talking points as the Red Devils progress to the FA Cup semi-finals after remarkable second-half drama
- Facundo Pellistri reflects on first Manchester United start
- Erik ten Hag doesn’t need Ousmane Dembele despite report