The transfer window might have shut over a week ago in rather farcical fashion as far as those of a red allegiance are concerned and the international break has managed to bore the majority of us out of our minds, but United seem to be rather active beyond the scenes as David Moyes has begun the process of identifying some of his targets for the January transfer window.
Having managed to secure only Marouane Fellaini during his first summer in charge, Moyes is fully aware of the importance of avoiding another failure this winter and has moved quickly so far, to earmark a couple of players he believes could improve the squad.
The latest name on a list which, presumably, includes Athletic Bilbao’s Ander Herrera, is Sheffield United’s Harry Maguire. The centre-back, valued at £4m by the Blades, was monitored throughout last campaign as Sir Alex Ferguson believed the 20-year-old was a star in the making and Moyes has picked up the baton from the former United manager.
United were linked with Benfica’s Ezequiel Garay this summer, as reports suggested that Moyes was keen to bolster his defensive options with Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand on the wrong side of 30 and both boasting a suspect injury record.
However, with Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans in his squad, Moyes might prefer to opt for a younger, less-known and, crucially, much cheaper face in the form of the Sheffield-born defender who has already amassed 121 appearances with the Yorkshire club.
The towering centre-back – Maguire stands 6ft 4ins – is in his third season at Bramall Lane and has already netted twice in seven games in all competition this term, proving to be a threat on set pieces, while his physique makes him a tough customer for strikers.
- Ian Wright wants Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag gone once Sir Jim Ratcliffe arrives
- Roy Keane wants Manchester United to ditch Antony, Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and more
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after 2-1 win against Chelsea
- Erik ten Hag has another undroppable star in Scott McTominay after Chelsea win
- Sofyan Amrabat produces his best Man Utd display vs Chelsea
- Juventus cool interest in exiled Man Utd star Jadon Sancho due to financial concerns
- Antony proves his worth with fantastic Man Utd performance vs Chelsea
- Manchester United 2-1 Chelsea: Player ratings as McTominay powers the Red Devils to sixth
- Full confirmed line-ups: Man Utd vs Chelsea
- Andre Onana reveals why his Manchester United teammates call him ‘the boss’