United gravy train chugs back after Asian jaunt

So after completing the Asian money-making exercise leg of the pre-season, United return to Europe with a stop in Germany (Munich, in particular) to play in the Audi Cup. This ‘Cup competition’ involves United playing two matches on Wednesday and Thursday (of this week). With such a demanding schedule, I honestly hope they are in the plane to Munich, like right now.

In this Audi Cup we’re speaking of, we will be playing Boca Juniors on Wednesday whilst Bayern play Milan in the other game. The winners of each will play each other on Thursday, whilst the losers play each other in a third-place match. And that’s really about it. This means we get to face some decent opposition where we can hopefully glean a little more about the way our side is shaping up than a rather pointless day of kickabout against Greentown something-something club. [Lawyers reckon I must add “with due respect” while referring to that Greentown something-something club. So, with due respect…]

In the friendlies that zoomed past, I couldn’t catch a single match in its entirety live. So I had to rely on reports on blogs, highlight reels on youtube, and other forms of the social media sphere such as facebook and twitter to see what other fans thought of some of the players. The general consensus, if there was ever such a thing, is that we seem to be switching back to a system that was more predictable and classic — the one that relied on wingers providing telling crosses. We do have a couple of players capable of providing consistent delivery. Zoran Tosic and Nani have been able to do so quite well this pre-season and so has Darron Gibson. As an aside, I always saw Gibbo as a central midfielder and not a right sided one (although he has played in that position in the past).

Berbatov seems to be showing more hunger while Macheda has managed to take the chances presented to him. For a 17 year old striker looking to make his mark, that’s about as good as you can get. And finally — the biggest plus so far — Michael Owen is still fit. I just wildly knocked on some woodwork as I wrote this.

And that, sadly, is all I can say about the Asia tour.

Meanwhile, Emmanuel Adebayor gave his perspective of truth (after all, truth is really a matter of opinions, no?) on his transfer to Man City. When asked about Ferguson’s comments that he wanted to come to United/Chelsea he said, “There was interest from other clubs but I don’t want to dwell on that now.”

There have been question marks raised over our ‘keepers, which has prompted Edwin van der Sar to declare that it would be hard for either of the two backups to dislodge him from his number one spot. Well, if we were to mix owl vomit with beaver turd and place it in a bowl by the goal post, would even that stench from the concoction struggle to dislodge him? That is the sort of question we must ask. And, would Ben Foster and co be prepared to withstand that stench to become our number one? We shall have to wait and see. Because, that, to me, is the real way of identifying the best man for the keeper’s job at United ever since we lost Schmeichel. Honest.

* * *

Meanwhile, some interesting links for today include…

1. Mark Ogden wraps up reporting United’s final Asian pre-season game against Greentown H… (with due respect) club with a glowing report on Owen.

2. Mark Hughes thinks the poster was “a bit of fun between the fans” — conveniently sidestepping the fact that it was a banner created by the club (like, official stuff, and all that).

3. Nicolas Anelka thinks Chelsea are a far bigger threat to United on account of Ronaldo and Tevez’s departure.

And that’s about it. I’m off for now, and you know you can find me throughout the day on the comments or twitter, or facebook.

27 July 2009 at 23:28

Aha! Some scout of some pro team has made their interest known to Eddy, and so as to portray an perfectly professional and unbiased persona, Eddy must not show any preference to a team in particular.

Yes, my middle name is Sherlock. 😉

2. Footy4Eddy

27 July 2009 at 23:52

@NicoQB: I have no comment to that…

3. Cyclops-Red

28 July 2009 at 00:23

@Footy4Eddy:
    Not the scousers 😯

28 July 2009 at 00:33

@Footy4Eddy: BULLSEYE!!!! 😈 😯 😈 😆 😆
    Really its ok. I can understand any decision made on account of a career. Just not the liverpool, please! 😉

28 July 2009 at 03:23

This silence is deafening. 😐

Anyone care to share some joke?

6. Kal

28 July 2009 at 05:08

btw…what number will Valencia be wearing this season?

7. spizzy

28 July 2009 at 07:55

I’m no football line-up expert, so if i tried to come up with a formation and team tactics I’d probably screw up as bad as fergie does 😆 😆 But gabriels formation looks interesting,except for the left side of the pitch.From what I’v been hearing evra has been a nightmare against teams from the orient, so evra will get run past by the likes of lennon, wright-phillips and any other semi-serious right wing player in the league like a knife through butter.There needs to be someone covering up this gaping hole, how about switching the play so nani is on the right and park on the left.

8. Dan

28 July 2009 at 09:00

@Footy4Eddy: It better not be liverpool! You’ll be dead to me if it is!

Come on eddy, before i google you, tell us!

9. Dan

28 July 2009 at 09:02

@Footy4Eddy: What team?

10. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 09:13

@Cyclops-Red: Even if Liverpool came with an offer for me, I would tell them to fuck off to their shitty little pighole where they all seem to become swines before they get the swine-flu…

11. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 09:14

@NicoQB: Its not Liverpool, its not Chelski, its not City and its not Real Madrid(two latter, of cource, they never seek for youngsters). 🙄 Thats all I can say for now…

12. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 09:15

@NicoQB: Liverpool. There, joke shared…

13. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 09:19

@Dan: 😆 No worries mate, my love for United is stronger than my desire to become a pro footballer. I would never move to Liverpool, and if they had made an offer I would reject it. Only reason for me joining Liverpool would be to piss of Gerrard and make him try to hit me, then hed be in jail and all little kids that hold him as a hero can understand what a cock he is. Honestly, only reason for doing that. 😉

I have promised not to say anything until everything is settled.

14. Will

28 July 2009 at 09:21

OK. Just to make sure i have this right…. and im not going totally mad

Barca get Ibrahwhineovich.

Inter get Eto’o, Hleb And £40million?

Are Barcalona suddenly run by backwards chimps? that is surely MADNESS!

28 July 2009 at 09:23

@Footy4Eddy: Ok, at least tell us if it’s in England or not. 🙂

16. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 09:25

To all people wondering what team I have recently had connections with considering a future in football, I cant say anything because its not settled yet. Ive not been offered a trial or a contract, but I have been spoken to wether I am willing to play at that particular club. But like I said, nothing has been settled yet. Therefor, I will have to make you wait in agony as the future Ballon DoR winner Eddy is trying to do his best for the team he plays for so it might be a future for him at the club.

All I can say for now is that its not Liverpool, Chelsea, City or Real. And I have been adviced to not tell anybody about what has happend the last 2 weeks.

If it makes you feel better, my best mates dont even know that I have been contacted. Only my family knows it, which should speaks enough of how highly I rate you guys here. 🙂 I promise, when everything is in order you will be the first to know.

17. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 09:28

@Red Ranter: Its a European club, thats all I can say for now. And the country the club is from is to the west of Sweden and downwards to Austria. It could be Holland, Norway, Germany, Denmark, Spain or possibly even England! 😮 😆 Cant say anything just yet…

18. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 09:29

@Will: Yeah, thats what is happening. Either Mourinho aint as stupid as he loks, or Barca are even dummer than Man City. In my opinion, Etoo is twice the player Zlatan is… 🙄

19. Will

28 July 2009 at 09:42

@Footy4Eddy: i STILL can’t believe it! Mourinho must be laughing all the way to the end of the season. simply mad! Zlatan is a moody sod with a good shot on him, whilst Eto’o is going to rip apart the back 4’s of Italy.. and £40million! simply astounding.

Guardiola has lost it… next he’ll be sending Messi out on loan to Blackburn

20. Dan

28 July 2009 at 09:44

Fuck me! Are little eddy is going to barca!

21. Dan

28 July 2009 at 09:48

@Footy4Eddy: Ok, one more hint, the club you are possibly going to, is it a top flight club in whatever league?

22. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 09:50

@Dan: It ended in the top 5 in its respective League this season/is currently in a top 5 spot this season. Good enough? 😉

23. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 09:51

@Dan: 😆 Maybe its Rochdale! 😮 😆

24. Dan

28 July 2009 at 09:56

@Footy4Eddy: So does that mean, its season has already started, or does it mean that alphabetically, they are in the top 5, like Barca…

25. Dan

28 July 2009 at 09:56

@Footy4Eddy: They’re not in the top 5 😉

26. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 09:59

@Dan: Because some seasons have already started, like the Norwegian League, I chose to include the team being in the top 5 spot as this season so you could keep guessing. But its not in an alphabetical order, so to judge from last season it could be Atletico and upwards, Everton and upwards, and so on… 😉

27. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 10:00

@Dan: They were last season… 😉 My dad is a Rochdale fan, so I know these things. 🙄 😆

28. Stephen

28 July 2009 at 10:11

@Footy4Eddy: I used to live in Rochdale mate, don’t knock it! 😆 😆 😆

29. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 10:12

@Stephen: 😆 😆 😆

30. Stephen

28 July 2009 at 10:22

@Footy4Eddy: I have been to the Mecca of English football, Spotland many times, er lucky me! 😆 😆 😆

31. Dan

28 July 2009 at 10:45

@Footy4Eddy: So it is rochdale 😉

32. Monkwahhdo

28 July 2009 at 10:47

Eddy i can’t believe no one has asked this yet but is the (mystery team) our beloved Manchester United??

❓ ❓ 😛

33. Monkwahhdo

28 July 2009 at 11:07

Michael owen is a red is a red, Michael owen is a red he learnt to hate scousers!!! 😈 😈

34. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 11:14

@Monkwahhdo: It might be, but dont hold your breath. 😉

35. Monkwahhdo

28 July 2009 at 11:18

I know this may sound somewhat delusional but i reckon SAF will be watching both villa and silva when we play Valencia at OT. reckon we could purchase both players at the same time. £60 mil for the pair!!

oh the joys of the transfer window, all this time with nothing happening makes one crazy. 😕

36. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 11:19

@Dan: Its more likely Marshians XI… 🙄 😛

37. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 11:20

@Monkwahhdo: 😆

38. spizzy

28 July 2009 at 11:35

great to see we have an up n comer among us,but to get back to athe question at hand,what winning formation should united use.

39. Monkwahhdo

28 July 2009 at 11:53

4-4-2. Then our strikers interchange, midfield can inter change. shit to be honest we don’t have a formation. we set up at the start of each half with one but then it’s if your in that area where the ball is thats your position . i’e evra stops being a left back and becomes a winger as does brown. rooney often starts as a striker then moves left and back down to left back. berbatov then becomes lone striker to become attacking mid. carrick goes mia, anderson looks lost. evds, vida and ferdi are the only ones to stick to their positions. lol

to be honest even when we set up 4-3-3 rooney ends up going left turning us back to a 4-4-2 so essentially we are a 4-4-2 team without boundaries.

IMHO – i think SAF has realised 4-4-2 is to United as Coke is to Jack Daniels. perfect!!! just sort our wingers out and get a solid centre mid partnership and we will be kings of europe once again!

i think i’m losing it! 😳

40. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 11:57

@Monkwahhdo: You better cut out the sugar mate, its getting to your head… 😆

28 July 2009 at 14:27

@Footy4Eddy: Well hello there.

I just wanted to apologize if you felt that I’ve stolen your thunder or sumthing. I realise that this can be something really serious and I don’t want you to think that we are trying to interrogate you!
    Even though that’s basically what we’re doing! 😆

Ok, so last question (for now) – you’ve been noticed as LB or DM?

42. Footy4Eddy

28 July 2009 at 14:48

@NicoQB: No worried mate, we are cool. I was actually thinking about whether to say this or not, because its very big for me. But Im glad I did(or that you drove it out of me! 😆 ). Just wish people could stop asking me which team it is, because I made a “deal” with the people not to tell anybody except for my family. Havent told my friends yet, because I dont want them to be upset or love consentration. Im gonna keep playing for my local team for the rest of the season, then they will decide whether they choose to take me in or not. They told me I still had to improve, and they had watched me for a while. Thye think I still have a long way to go before I can become as good as they expect, but according to them I have improved massivly since last season. Now they wanna see how I cope with the pressure and how seriously I look on this case. Its important I do my utter best to show them I am good enough, and they felt this was the best way for me to express that.

I dunno which position, they didnt tell me. Told me I just had the qualities they believed are good enough to be a star, but I need to sharpen them before they feel they can take me in. 🙂

43. gator

28 July 2009 at 17:08

@Footy4Eddy: congrats man i knew it when you changed your handle. I started to post it yesterday when everyone thought you had found God. hahaha but i was at work and got busy. well if they want you to improve then you better stop taking requests for fifa vids and start making vids of reddevileddy for us all to watch. practice mate

28 July 2009 at 18:07

@Footy4Eddy: Well best of luck, bro. Hard work and dedication and self-belief and you’ll get there in the end!

😉 🙂