This report is taken from SkySports.com regarding a bid made by United for Atletico Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera.
Athletic Bilbao say they have turned down an offer from Manchester United for midfielder Ander Herrera.
Club president Josu Urrutia claims a firm bid for the 24-year-old was lodged on Thursday and immediately dismissed.
And Urrutia says the only way Herrera will leave the club is if he demands a move and his release clause – reported to be £30.75m – is met.
Speaking at a press conference, reported on Athletic’s Twitter feed on Friday, he said: “We have had an offer for Ander Herrera. Our club is different, it is based on sentiment. Our objective isn’t to make money.
“We received the offer last night and have communicated that we will not negotiate for our players.
“For a player to go, first the player must express his desire to leave the club and pay the release clause.”
David Moyes, asked about Herrera at his press conference ahead of Sunday’s game against Liverpool, was not prepared to name United’s targets.
He said: “We would try not to disclose our bids, if that’s possible. We would just let the clubs deal with it and try to do it in the professional manner.”
Here’s how one of our regular readers (tonymontanna4united) suggests the conversation between United and Bilbao is likely to pan-out……
Woodward: That Herrera guy looks good. Lets make a bid. Would £25m do it?
Bilbao: Thanks for your bid, but it’s not enough. He has a release clause of £30m. Meet that and he’s yours.
Woodward: Ok, well we need to go away and assess our finances and think things over, but we’ll be back.
(Transfer deadline day)
Woodward: Hi, me again, so will £25m do it?
Bilbao: No, as we said before £30m and no less. Stop wasting our time.
Woodward: Ok last offer, £29m take it or leave it.
Bilbao: Goodbye Mr Woodward.
Woodward on 3rd September: We looked at a few players but we’re happy with what we’ve got, there’s no value in the market blah blah blah
United really aren’t doing themselves any favours are they, more worryingly, they’re beginning to look like they’re panicking.
- Newcastle United lining up summer deal for Man Utd midfielder Scott McTominay
- Man Utd may not sign Harry Kane amid fresh Tottenham stance
- Marcus Rashford withdraws from England squad through injury
- Man United could persuade RB Salzburg & RB Leipzig to cancel Benjamin Sesko deal by paying higher fee
- Man Utd lagging behind in Jude Bellingham transfer race
- Former Manchester United target Ismaila Sarr set to leave Watford this summer
- Man Utd reminded why they should sign Joao Palhinha this summer
- Roy Keane blasts Man Utd performance against Fulham
- 16: Man Utd star has outscored club’s top transfer target in 2023
- ‘You never know’: Frenkie de Jong reacts when asked about joining Man Utd this summer