Manchester United face a defensive crisis as Louis Van Gaal’s already thin defensive options have been further stretched by Chris Smalling’s umpteenth injury.
Smalling suffered a thigh strain in training on Wednesday and is unlikely he’ll be fit to face West Ham on Saturday, leaving Van Gaal without a recognised centre-back, given Jonny Evans and Phil Jones are also sidelined, while Michael Carrick, who had been touted as a possible short-term solution in the role, is still two weeks away from return.
With Tyler Blackett suspended, Marcos Rojo could be given the nod at centre-back alongside Daley Blind with Luke Shaw making his official debut at left-back, though Van Gaal could also opt to temporarily return to a three-man defence if Smalling fails to recover.
- Man Utd have their eyes on Dusan Vlahovic, Juventus open to selling him
- Man Utd interested in signing Andre Onana, Inter could sell him for €40-50m
- Erik ten Hag could unleash Alejandro Garnacho vs Man City after Antony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd’s next striker: Three stars on the radar
- FA Cup final preview: Manchester City vs Manchester United – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Major blow for Manchester United with Anthony Martial set to miss FA Cup final against Man City
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United