Luke Shaw is set to be offered a contract extension by Manchester United despite an injury-plagued three years at Old Trafford, according to the Sun.
The 22-year-old is in the final year of his current deal having joined us from Southampton for more than £30 million back in 2014.
Shaw has only made 32 Premier League appearances for the Red Devils in just over three seasons, largely due to injuries.
The Sun report that we are set to offer Luke Shaw a further 12 months on his current £130,000-a-week deal.
Luke Shaw has only recently returned to training after suffering an ankle injury versus Swansea City at the end of April that has kept him sidelined ever since. Previously, he suffered a broken leg in a Champions League match versus PSV Eindhoven that kept him out for over a year.
Jose Mourinho has previously criticised the left-back and there was even speculation that he could be sold this summer. However, his late return to fitness may have ruled that out as we enter the final days of the summer transfer window.
The 12-month extension to his contract may simply be to prevent losing him on a free transfer at the end of the season as he would be eligible to discuss a free transfer move as early as January 2018 should we not extend his deal before then. Mourinho is a smart businessman and would not want the club to lose a young player on a free transfer given his current value.
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season