Louis Van Gaal has chosen Manchester United’s captain for this season and, perhaps slightly surprising, Wayne Rooney and not Robin Van Persie is the man the new United manager has chosen to skipper the side in his inaugural campaign at Old Trafford.
The relationship between Van Persie and Van Gaal had many suggesting that the former Arsenal striker would be given the armband this season, particularly given he had captained Holland at the World Cup but, instead, the honour has gone to Rooney, with Darren Fletcher promoted to the role of vice-captain.
“For me it’s always very important the choice of captain. Wayne has shown a great attitude towards everything he does. I have been very impressed by his professionalism and his attitude to training and to my philosophy,” said Van Gaal.
“He is a great inspiration to the younger members of the team and I believe he will put his heart and soul into his captaincy role. Darren Fletcher will become the vice-captain.
“Darren is a natural leader and will captain the team when Wayne isn’t playing Darren is a very experienced player and a very popular member of the dressing room, I know he will work well alongside Wayne.”
“It is a huge honour for me – and for my family – to be named captain of this great club. It is a role I will perform with great pride. Team spirit has always been very high in our dressing room and I am very grateful to the manager for the faith he has shown in me,” said Rooney.
I look forward to leading the team out on Saturday at our first match of the new season.”
Within 12 months, Fletcher has gone from almost not playing professional football because of his illness to be United vice-captain and the Scotland international admitted it was a great honour.
“I am delighted to have been named as vice-captain. It’s a very proud moment for me and my family,” said Fletcher.
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season